Lavradio Street - Lapa

This 18th Century street in downtown Rio de Janeiro experiences a renaissance nowadays.It is located in Rio’s historical and commercial center. From the end of the 19th Century, the city’s elite made its home in Lapa district, where baronesses and counts mixed with Rio’s bohemian population. The city’s best cabarets and theatres were located there.
As I´ve been working on extra large formats,(I´ll post it soon) I´ve decided to approach this theme with small studies for a change.Maybe I´ll paint some of them larger in the future... I like to alternate between large and smalishes, each one has its own charm.

It was an overcast day and I decided to stop at this corner where nowadays is the headquarter of Brazilian Fine Art Society.


Brazilian Fine Arts Society - op 22x27 cm Sandra Nunes
The next day I headed to the last block of Rua do Lavradio. Lined with tastefully decorated restaurants, nightclubs, antique stores and a neighborhood barbershop, it was restored and entirely pedestrianized. It was difficult not to be distracted by the turn of the century streetlights, and several other embelishments of this part of the street.
I intended to edit , simplify and focus on the play of light on the colorful old buildings.

Lavradio Street - op 22x27cm - Sandra Nunes

This place sure deserves a series...

Posted bySandra Nunes at 12:46 PM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2007 | Andreas08v2 by GeckoandFly and TemplatesForYou | Design by Andreas Viklund
TFY Burajiru